Preventive Dental Care
Keep Your Teeth Clean and Strong
Preventive dentistry is simply caring for your teeth to keep them healthy. With proper care, you can avoid or lessen the effects of things like cavities, gingivitis and other dental problems. Regular preventative care can greatly reduce the chance of costly and painful procedures later on.
Everyone from children to adults benefit from preventive dentistry. Children particularly benefit because it allows their developing adult teeth to come in strong and healthy. Preventive dentistry should start at home with regular brushing and flossing. This, along with regular dental visits can keep you and your teeth healthy.
The following is a list of preventative dental procedures offered at Avenue Dental.
At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- • Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- • Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- • Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- • Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- • Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Dental health is achieved through excellent oral hygiene at home and regular professional cleanings. Our highly trained hygienists provide the best care while making sure you are comfortable during your treatment.
Dental sealants are thin, plastic films painted on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth - molars and premolars - and are highly effective in the prevention of tooth decay (caries and cavities). Dental sealants are particularly effective on the back teeth, as the back teeth contain more hard-to-reach pits and grooves that serve as a host to food debris and plaque build-up.